7.23.2014

Summer time means fresh strawberry rhubarb pie



I am one lucky lady today to receive some delicious, fresh, rhubarb picked with love from my mother-in-laws garden! She flew it all the way from Iowa just for me!! 

 My husbands favorite pie happeneds to be to be strawberry rhubarb. So, some pie baking was in order today, since I received fresh ingredients!! When I make this pie I usually just buy frozen rhubarb. It is hard to find and has a short selling season in grocery stores. So it's a wonderful treat to make a fresh from the garden pie! 
I am excited to share a family favorite 
pie recipe with you! 

strawberry rhubarb pie recipe: 

Crust: (This is a 2 crust pie)
1& 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix ingredients, roll out your your dough and place it the bottom of your pie dish.

Pie Filling: 
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped rhubarb 
1 cup chopped strawberries
Mix all ingediants together then put in pie dish over the crust.

Then make the second pie crust and place it on top of the filling. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 
Then mix together the topping and add to pie after it's been baking for 40 minutes. 

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 butter
Mix together and spread on top of pie. Back for an additional 10 minutes.
 
We think it's best to enjoy when the pie is warm. It also tastes delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! 

Give it a try! 

Blessings,
Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yumm!! That looks amazing! :)